The amaretto sour is a classic cocktail that came out of American bars during the 1970s. Made with just a few ingredients, it’s also easy to mix up, and there are several tasty variations to explore. Since it’s the lone liquor, this cocktail is best with top-shelf brands of amaretto. It’s also an excellent use for homemade amaretto. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is essential because the bottled varieties simply won’t make a great sour cocktail.
- 2 ounces amaretto liqueur
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- Lemon twist and maraschino cherry, for garnish (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the amaretto, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup to the shaker.
- Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice.
- If desired, garnish with a lemon twist and a maraschino cherry.
- Serve and enjoy!
Enjoy your Cocktail!